Imagine sailing – powered by the wind, and steered by the wind.
Just you, your boat, the wind and the ocean.
Hydrovane has been steering dreams for 50 years.
We would be delighted to be a part of yours.
…the windvane will make a comeback as a new generation of eco-aware sailors begin to reassess the value of simplicity and a brilliant piece of kit that needs no power.”
– David Glenn, Editor of Yachting World
What is a Hydrovane?
Hydrovane is both:
A Self Steering Windvane System
A completely independent mechanical system that steers the boat on a wind-based course. Easiest to operate, with no lines in the cockpit, and excellent on all points of sail and in all conditions.
It is an Auxiliary Rudder type of windvane system – the Vane drives its own Rudder via a sophisticated Drive Unit linkage.
An Emergency Rudder/ Steering System
Inherently a second Rudder and Steering System for your boat.
It is the strongest Emergency Rudder and Steering System available today. Always in place, nothing to set-up – takes the fear out of losing your rudder or breaking your vessel’s steering mid passage or close to shore.
What will a Hydrovane do for you?
Be a Dependable Extra Crew Member
- On duty 24 hours a day to steer the boat
- Quietly and naturally performs its duties … needs no attention, no food, and never talks back!
- Consumes no power… reduces your reliance on charging systems and electronics
- Is the primary workhorse of all your passages
- Just as diesel engines have not replaced sails as the best method of crossing an ocean, autopilots cannot beat the quiet reliability of mechanical self steering
Allow you to Enjoy Short-Handed Sailing
- User friendly – users marvel that when put into gear that it ‘just works’ with no tedious tuning required
- Gives you added confidence in your boat and equipment
- Improves the vessel motion – with the main rudder locked in a position that eliminates weather helm the boat becomes naturally stable
- Allows you time and energy to tend to tasks other than steering
- Greatly reduces your daily power consumption when not running an autopilot – or allows you to use that power elsewhere
Provides Peace of Mind for the “What If’s”?…
- Autopilot fails
- Batteries are low
- Engine won’t start
- Steering broken
- Main rudder lost
- Crew incapacitated
The Hydrovane quells all these fears.
We invite you to feel the freedom of sailing with a Hydrovane. Whether it’s ten miles or thousands of miles, Hydrovane will steer you safely. For ease of use, versatility, and reliability, Hydrovane surpasses all other systems.
Let Hydrovane be your best partner in achieving your dream.